For Christ’s Sake, put a shirt on Chad.
Not only are they the fuel that keeps the fires of many a female reader burning, they keep the wheels of the publishing industry turning as well.
Ladies of all ages like a good story about a woman swept off her feet by the perfect man.
Said perfect man usually defined as being a) long haired b) muscular and c) shirtless.
It’s ok ladies. I won’t point out that your love of these novels is more or less the equivalent of your boyfriend scoping out risqué sites on the Interwebs.
And romance authors, though I’ll never read them, keep churning them out as the more people who are reading anything, the longer the publishing industry stays afloat.
From BQB HQ in fabulous East Randomtown, here are the Top Ten Warning Signs Your Boyfriend Might Be a Shirtless Alpha Male in a Romance Novel:
10. Always shirtless so as to show off his rock hard abs and other assorted muscles. No matter the occasion. Working out? Shirtless. Doing yard work? Shirtless. Trip to the store? Shirtless. Attending a state dinner with the Queen of England? Shirtless. Hell, the Queen probably digs that shit.
9. Has a douchey name. Examples include: Brodie, Body, Cody. Chad, Brad, or Tad. Lance. Guy. Trent. Blake. Basically, if you hear the guy’s name and can picture him as a blonde haired bully in a 1980’s movie with the arms of a fancy sweater tied around his neck while hassling Anthony Michael Hall then you know he’s got a douchey name.
8. Has long, flawless locks of hair and wherever he is or whatever he is doing, they’re always blowing in the wind. Even when there is no wind. Put him on the Moon and his damn hair will still blow around.
7. Ladies, let’s face it. Whenever he bosses you around, you look up to him as a strong, take charge kind of guy. Whip a pair of glasses on him and an extra thirty pounds and you’d bust out the pepper spray the instant he asks where his dinner is.
6. Has tons of money but exhibits no visible signs of employment. He’s just one of those miracle dudes who has tons of money to spend on his lady but still has plenty of time to keep those abs up. Also, his muscles are always greased up, as if there’s always an assistant with a bucket of lotion following him around.
5. Speaking of, you’re tired of being held up to the Barbie doll standard, but you also believe every man who doesn’t look like a shirtless alpha male is a loser.
4. Rides a motorcycle. Everywhere. Except when he’s not riding a damn horse. And if you try to tell him what to do, he’s going to ride that motorcycle or horse in the sunset, baby.
3. You’re pretty sure you can change him into a nicer person through the awesome power of your vagina. But let’s face it, if he were to become nicer, he wouldn’t be an badass shirtless alpha male anymore. He might even start covering up with a collection of those polo shirts with the little alligator on the pocket, denying the world the sight of his muscles.
2. Wherever he is, there’s inevitably a pile of wood he can chop in a gratuitous display of his manly muscles. In a logging camp? There’s a pile of wood. In a forest? There’s a pile of wood. On a beach? Wood. In a desert? Wood. Stop making jokes about wood.
- Yup. Nerdy men hate him about as much as nerdy women hate those supermodel chicks. Maybe all the nerdy men and women of the world should just get together and read some comic books while all the good looking people of the world do it on beaches with the wind blowing through their hair.