DEBATE QUESTION OF THE DAY: When it comes to self-publishing, is Amazon Superman or Lex Luthor?
AMAZON IS SUPERMAN: Once upon a time, if you had a story in your heart and wanted to tell the world, your only choice was to roll the dice, write it, submit it, and there was like a 10% chance maybe you’d find a publisher and a 90% chance that your manuscript would collect dust in your sock drawer. To increase your odds, you could abandon your home, family, and everyone you know from the place you grew up and move to New York City or LA and try to hobnob with the beautiful people but in reality, the closest you’d get is a form reply from the assistant to the assistant of the book agent’s assistant.
Amazon has changed all that. You are in control. You build your platform. You draw in your readers. An entire self-publishing industry has been created to help writers like you. You can find editors to help you polish your work, beta readers to give you feedback on what works and what doesn’t, formatters to put your book together in digital form and artists to create your book cover.
Roll up your sleeves, work hard, upload your book to Amazon, and you now have a foot in the door of the world of publishing. If your book is as good as you think it is, people will read it, tell others and God willing, you become the next Hugh Howey or Amanda Hocking.
Does KDP Select lead to authors making their works exclusive to Amazon and push them to give their works away for free or on the cheap? Yes. But, come on. We’re struggling no-names. Readers only have so much expendable income. If they have ten bucks to spend, will they buy my book or Steven King’s. King has a proven track record. You buy a Steven King book and you know you’ll be entertained. Me? I still have to earn that reputation. So, take my work for pennies, world and if you like it, I hope you’ll come back for more and pay for the privilege because a steady flow of book sales income is what I need to justify writing as a full time career.
Thanks Amazon! Like Superman, you’ve saved us all!
AMAZON IS LEX LUTHOR – Muah ha ha. Yes. Gather around my table at Legion of Doom Headquarters where I will now share my evil plans. You had dreams of becoming a writer, did you? We got you hooked on our service. You uploaded your books, built your fan base, pushed them toward our site and thank you. Your reward? Pressure to give your books away for free and keep them only with us – we’ll get plenty of clicks on our site, you might get a little bit of pocket change for your trouble. We’re driving down the cost of books all across the board, and even traditionally published writers are complaining about profit declines. We don’t really care…we’re getting ours. Muah ha ha.
DEBATE: I lean toward the Superman argument but I can understand why some people might go with Lex Luthor. What say you, self publishers?